« Back to Digital - Baby Layouts
Baby's Favorite Things - Ashby Series Baby Girl Scrapbooking Two Page Layout (left side)
Designed By: Denna de Motta
How to Create:
- Open a 12x12 Digital Storybook project. (This works better than opening Page Prints, because it gives you the option of viewing both pages at the same time). The photos I used for this project had a black background, so it was easy! Photos with a white background would also look nice and just make the pages white instead of black. If you don’t have either of these, you can cut out the background from the main photo by flattening it, and going to Cut & Fill>Cutters>Custom> and cut either a straight path or curved path. You don’t need to cut it super close to the person in the photo...after cutting it, you can soften the edges by going to Format>Filters>Soften edge and play around with the softness to fuzzy-out any little bits of background left in your photo. Make sure you adjust your photo the way you want it before you flatten and cut it!
- Ok, so I added the large photo of my husband and baby to the first page. Then insert any piece of paper as the background, unlock the photo by clicking on the padlock in the Elements bar, click on the paper again, and fill it with black (Cut&Fill). Do the same for a black background on page 2. Add an empty photo box on page one, make sure it is square (Aspect ratio) and add your photo. Go to Format Photos>Frames>Select and select the mat with the black photo corners. Add a light shadow. Create a square shape, any color and place this directly below the square photo. Select the square and the photo and align them by going to Arrange>Alignment and clicking on the vertical and horizontal align icons. We will color this square later.
- Go to the Ashby Series Baby Girl Embellishments and add the word art My Favorite Things to the page and fill with white. Arrange it over the large main photo. Now we are going to make rubber stamps of the bird images. Hover over the hummingbird embellishment (no pun intended!) and click on Rubber stamp image in the sidebar. Play with the sliders to get the look you like, usually sliding the Coverage slider to 1, all the way to the right, and Threshold almost to the extreme left, about a 30. You can change the color to white now or later. Click Create! Now flip the hummingbird stamp by going to Arrange>Rotate and arrange it by the main photo to the top right, hovering by the title. Now do the same for the other cute little birdie!
- To create the border of birdies, select Rubber stamp this image on the Bird in Circle embellishment. Same way we did the other birds. You will be left with 2 birds in a scallop circle, so just go to cutters and using the Ellipse cutter, erase the scallop circle. Now copy and paste these sets of birds about 8 times. Select them all from left to right and go to Arrange>Alignment and select ‘Center elements horizontally with last selected element’ and then ‘Make selected elements evenly spaced horizontally with last selected element’ now you will have a nice little border of birdies! Flatten or group them now and place at the top of the page. I made them a pink color, from sampling the pink embellishments found in the Ashby Girl kit. (or leave the color until you are done the next page.)
- Last thing for this page is to insert a text path. You can choose to repeat the phrase or not. Then follow the line of the photo’s main object and create the path. Type in a lullaby. I used Pristina font and made it white text. Now on to page 2!
- Create a large square shape on the black page. With it selected, go to Cut & Fill>Cutters>More and select the Corner Cutter. I used the corner from the standard Corners package that comes with SBC and used the corner called Decorative 1 set to size 22.
- Insert an empty frame that is about a 5x7 Portrait size, and 2 more small photos that are a 3x5 Landscape size. Select all 3 photo frames and add the mat with the black photo corners and a light shadow. Add your photos. Align the photos under Arrange.
- Now for the large square mat with the decorative corners: select it and go to Cut & Fill to recolor it. Go to Gradient and click the Two Color button. I chose to sample the pink from the Ashby kit, and to sample the orange from my husband’s shirt. (this is done by clicking on First Color then clicking on the eyedropper icon and moving the eyedropper that will appear to the color anywhere on the screen that you want to copy! This is super handy!) when you’ve chosen the 2 colors, pick a gradient that you like from all the samples. I also decided to add a bit of texture to the page by going to Format>Effects>Surfaces and I choose the Rough surface with scale texture: 1.7 and amplification: -1.9. Now is a good time to go back to the first page and select the little plain square that is under the small photo and apply these effects to it, same gradient colors and same surface texture.
- Copy and paste the birdie border from page 1 to page 2. I made the page 1 border pink and the page 2 border white. Add some more embellishments from Ashby Girl embellishments...the bird sticker and the bunny rabbit sticker and add light shadows to them. Then hover over the buggy sticker and choose rubber stamp from the sidebar. I made this stamp white with Threshold: 32, Coverage: 0.55 and Pattern: Noisy. Enlarge the buggy stamp and place above the small photos.
- Insert a text box. I used Pristina font at 18 pt. For the title on this page, I selected the 2 word arts “My Mom and Dad” and “special Keepsakes” and then with the rectangle cutter, selected the’ Special’ and erased the rest. Then selected the word ‘My’ and cut around it and did the same for ‘Dad’ then just erased ‘Mom’ L haha, then lined up the words My Special Dad and flattened them and filled them with black and placed over the baby buggy. To add birdies, you can rubber stamp them in black, or just copy the 2 different birds from page 1 and change the color and placement.
- This page is easy to switch for a boy, and to switch the colors is easy too, have fun!